The murder of Faith Hedgepeth, a student at UNC-Chapel Hill in September 2012, went unsolved for nine years. This week, Chapel Hill Police Department announced that they have made an arrest in the case of Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares, 28, of Durham.
There have been numerous TV documentaries and podcasts about Hedgepeth’s case. Here are some of the main ones.
▪ In 2016, the TV news magazine “20/20” aired a special episode on the case titled “20/20: Love, Hope and Faith: The Murder of Faith Hedgepeth.” The special includes interviews with family and friends, including Marisol Rangel. The Chapel Hill Police Department cooperated with ABC on this special, revealing here for the first time the Parabon composite and a photo of the murder weapon. The special is available online in several parts: Parts 1 and 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 and Part 6.
▪ In 2018, the Investigation Discovery series “Breaking up the homicide” investigated the murder of Hedgepeth. For the episode, the former Rhode Island police sergeant. Derrick Levasseur and forensic psychologist Kris Mohandie spend time in Chapel Hill talking to the police; the parents of Hedgepeth; Marisol Rangel; Faith’s ex-boyfriend, Michael Ty McNeil; and others close to the case. They consult specialists who analyze the handwriting on the note left at the scene and the 911 call made by Hedgepeth’s roommate, Karena Rosario. They believe Rosario is the key to solving the case. Investigation Discovery broadcasts are generally available to stream on discovery +.
▪ In 2019, newspaper columnist Tom Gasparoli published a 10-episode podcast series on the Hedgepeth murder titled “Pursuit”. On the podcast, Gasparoli asks retired Raleigh detective Chris Morgan for his opinion on the 911 call and the case. Morgan says he believes the note on the fast food bag was staged by the killer to baffle investigators.
▪ A special discovery investigation called “Who killed the student? An identity murder mystery ” airing May 2020. Special interviews with relatives and friends of Hedgepeth and with members of the Chapel Hill Police Department. It also features some pretty gruesome recreations of the crime scene. Investigation Discovery broadcasts are generally available to stream on discovery +.
▪ In October 2020, the popular true crime podcast Crime Junkie featured the case of Faith Hedgepeth.
Other resources on the case of Faith Hedgepeth
▪ A copy of various court orders, search warrants and Faith Hedgepeth’s autopsy report can be found here.
▪ Stories about the Hedgepeth affair published in The News & Observer.
▪ Hedgepeth Subsidies, Evidence and Theories.