“Podcast watchers”, who access massively via YouTube, are younger, lean men and more new to podcasting
Women make up the majority of new podcast listeners
Spotify and YouTube are the most used platforms among new podcast listeners
Ad creative opportunity: Podcast listeners prefer fun and entertaining ads over dry/boring ads that communicate features/benefits
NEW YORK, May 17, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS)in partnership with Signal Hill Insights, today released Cumulus Media and Signal Hill Insights’ Podcast Download – Spring 2022 Report, a comprehensive assessment of the podcast audience.
The eighth edition of the study examining weekly podcast listeners is part of Cumulus Media’s commitment to sharing insights and research findings with the podcast community. Topics covered in the Podcast Download Report include platform usage, content, and advertising.
“Our new Podcast Downloads Report reveals a significant increase in video podcast audiences as YouTube becomes the most widely used platform for accessing podcasts,” said Suzanne Grimes, EVP, Marketing for Cumulus Media and President, Westwood. One.
“Podcast advertising reaches millions of young consumers who have abandoned linear television for ad-free video streaming services.”
“There is a major opportunity to improve podcast ad creation as audiences prefer a fun and entertaining approach to the current executions they hear that focus on features and benefits,” said Jeff Vidler, President and Founder of Signal. HillInsights. “As Paul Feldwick says, ‘Advertising is at least as much about showmanship as it is about selling [and it] builds brands best when they’re entertaining, popular, and memorable, when it’s not just a pitch, but a performance. There is also, of course, a question of fit with the podcast.
The Spring 2022 edition reveals valuable insights for content creators and advertisers. Some highlights of the report:
- Six in ten weekly podcast listeners say they prefer podcasts with video: When asked how they prefer to listen to podcasts, 28% say they like a podcast video that they actively watch while listening and 29% say they have the video played in the background/minimized while listening. ‘listen. 43% say they only use audio without video.
- Podcast video has more advertising attention than linear television: 58% of weekly podcast listeners say they have their eyes glued to the screen when podcast commercials air (“some, most, or all of the time”), compared to just 39% for linear TV, after Nielsen studies.
- Podcast platform wars: YouTube is now the number one audience destination: When asked which platform they listen to the most to access podcasts, 24.2% answer YouTube, followed by Spotify (23.8%) and Apple Podcasts (16%).
- The three major platforms (Apple, Spotify, YouTube) are developing: As of 2019, the oligarchy of the big three podcast platforms now has a listening share of 64%, up from 55% in 2019.
- Podcast listeners spend nearly half the time watching videos with ad-free content: Weekly podcast listeners spend 42% of their video time (TV, video streaming, etc.) with ad-free video content.
- Young demos and women make up the majority of new listeners: More than half of podcast newcomers who started listening in the past year are between the ages of 18 and 34, and more than half are women.
- The more time spent with podcasts, the more podcast ads drive consumer response and business results: After hearing a podcast advertisement, heavy podcast listeners (those who listen more than 6 hours per week) are more likely to have researched a product online, discovered a new product/service, made a purchase, redeemed a code promoting or following a brand on social networks.
- Fun and entertaining ads provide a creative opportunity: While podcast listeners remain highly receptive to podcast ads, they say they prefer fun and entertaining podcast ads to feature/benefit ads that they say they hear more often now.
- Podcast listeners are looking to engage and interact with their favorite podcasts: Weekly podcast listeners often follow hosts on social media, plan to attend live podcast events in person, and place exclusive content or access ahead of an ad-free experience.
Cumulus Media and Signal Hill Insights Podcast Download – Spring 2022 Report is available for full download at CumulusPodcastNetwork.com.
The study was conducted from a nationally representative sample of weekly podcast listeners who represent 26% of the United States, according to Edison’s Infinite Dial study. The report also looks at heavy podcast listeners (those who listen more than 6 hours per week) as well as when consumers started listening to podcasts – Podcast Pioneers (4+ years ago), Podcast Newcomers (12 last months).
Cumulus Media | Westwood One, in partnership with Signal Hill Insights, commissioned a study of weekly podcast listeners with MARU/Matchbox, a nationally recognized leader in consumer research. The eighth installment in the series, this report includes questions dating back to the inaugural 2017 study. This study was conducted online using a nationally representative sample of 604 respondents who were adults, aged 18 or over, spent at least one hour listening to podcasts in the past week and were not employed in the advertising, public relations, marketing, market research, radio industries, television, digital or podcasting. The surveys were conducted between April 1 and April 7, 2022.
About Signal Hill Insights
Signal Hill Insights specializes in audio research, partnering with publishers, broadcasters and advertisers to exploit new opportunities in audio. Its clients include many of North America’s largest broadcasters and podcasting networks.
About CUMULUS MEDIA
Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS) is an audio-focused media company that delivers premium content to more than a quarter of a billion people every month, wherever and whenever they want it. Cumulus Media engages listeners with high-quality local programming through 406 owned-and-operated radio stations in 86 markets; features national sports, news, talk and entertainment programming from iconic brands including the NFL, NCAA, Masters, CNN, AP, Academy of Country Music Awards and many other class partners worldwide on more than 9,500 affiliate stations through Westwood One, America’s largest audio network; and inspires listeners through the Cumulus Podcast Network, its rapidly growing network of smart, entertaining and engaging original podcasts. Cumulus Media provides advertisers with personal connections, local impact and national reach through digital, mobile, social and voice-enabled broadcast and on-demand platforms, as well as integrated digital marketing services, powerful influencers, full-service audio solutions, research and insights, and live event experiences. Cumulus Media is the only audio media company to offer advertisers local and national advertising performance guarantees. For more information, visit www.cumulusmedia.com.
Contact: Karen Glover | Westwood One | [email protected]