MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) – Patio season is less than a week away!
The Memorial Union Terrace will reopen next Wednesday filled with its famous green, yellow and orange chairs covered in a sunburst design, the University of Wisconsin revealed Thursday.
“Terrace chairs, with their unique, patented design, have become synonymous with summer in Madison and are as well-known and loved as the terrace they sit on,” the university wrote in a statement announcing the new season.
While the terrace will reopen on April 13, the university expects setting up the hundreds of chairs will take two or three days.
The statement also included nearly a dozen events the university already plans to see on the terrace over the summer. A full list of updated information is available at TerraceSummer.com. The events listed by UW as already on the slate are (per their statement):
- Lakeside Cinema, free movie screenings at 9 p.m. on Mondays from Memorial Day through Labor Day as well as June 12 and 26, July 10 and 24, and August 7 – hosted by the Corporate Film Committee Union of Wisconsin (WUD) with support from Dean SSM Health
- Open mic nights on Wednesday evenings from late May – organized by the WUD Music Committee with support from Dean SSM Health
- Free live music on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from the end of May – organized by the WUD Music Committee with the support of the SSM Health Dean
- Free live jazz performances as part of the Madison Jazz Festival and Juneteenth Jubilee June 18-19 – presented by Wisconsin Union Theater and Arts + Literature Laboratory
- The weekend also includes two paid headliners at Shannon Hall to be announced in April 2022.
- Terrace Art Zone, a series of free art project creation events from Wednesday to Friday – hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- New to the 2022 Deck Season: The Deck Art Cart, which will offer DIY art kits for purchase – hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- Terrace Paintacular September 5th, Madison’s Largest Free Group Painting Party – hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- Paddle gear rental starting in late May plus camping, hiking, and climbing rentals – courtesy of Outdoor UW
- Family Night on Lake Mendota, a night of family paddling, sightseeing and games – hosted by Outdoor UW
- Member Thursdays, lifetime and annual events reserved for Wisconsin Union members, such as tasting events and special member rates on Terrace Art Cart art kits and UW equipment rentals outside
- Reopening of the seasonal dining options on the Terrace, the Brat Stand and the BBQ Stand, as well as the seasonal dining option Memorial Union Lakeview Lounge on dates to be determined
Copyright 2022 WMTV. All rights reserved.