Charleena Lyles lawsuit: Seattle reached $ 3.5 million settlement in fatal police shooting of pregnant mother of four

The case was due to be tried in February 2022, but the settlement was reached on Monday, according to a press release from lawyers representing Lyles’ family and estate.

The terms of the settlement include the payment of $ 3.5 million and the dismissal of officers Steven McNew and Jason Anderson from the trial within seven days, according to the press release.

The two officers responded to Lyles’s apartment in June 2017, after Lyles, 30, called 911 to report a burglary. After an initially calm conversation, officers said the pregnant mother turned violent and shot her after she confronted them with two knives, police said.
On the dashcam audio of the shooting, officers can be heard saying “come back” several times before gunshots are heard. Officers provided first aid until firefighters arrived, but Lyles was pronounced dead at the scene.

The dismissal of the remainder of the case against the city is now awaiting court approval, which “typically takes several months,” the statement said.

“There is no question that this has been a tragedy, and we are happy to have some level of closure for the parties,” Dan Nolte, spokesperson for Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, said in a statement. .

“We maintain the multiple levels of review of this event and are delighted that the officers are removed from the prosecution. The remaining parties will mutually seek judicial approval for a resolution of all claims.”

Lawyer Karen Clark, who represents the children of Lyles, said that “it has been an honor and a privilege to represent the best interests of the four beautiful children of Charleena Lyles”.

“I’m grateful that the city settled this matter… her murder should never have happened,” Clark continued. “What happened to Charleena in her own home when she called for help – was a moral outrage. May the city and our community begin the healing process.”


On June 18, 2017, shortly before 9 a.m., Lyles called 911 to report a break-in and told the operator that she was out and when she returned her door was open and “he things were missing ”at home.

Video from her hallway showed Lyles exiting and entering her apartment, but didn’t show anyone else entering her unit.

The officers who responded, identified as McNew and Anderson, can be heard on a dashcam audio recording discussing Lyles’ previous interaction with law enforcement – and the fact that she was subject to attack. ‘an “agent safety warning”.

They arrived at her apartment knowing that she had had an incident with the police earlier in the month. She was arrested and charged with obstructing a public official and harassing a law enforcement officer on June 5. This police report described Lyles as having “armed herself with a pair of extra-long metal scissors” and “threatened the officers.” She was released on parole on June 14.

Dashcam audio reveals that the meeting between the officers and Lyles began calmly. She tells them that she left her door unlocked as she walked to the store and while she was out her Xbox was stolen.

Officers ask Lyles if she knew who the suspect might be. She says she has no idea. They write down his contact details and confirm what was stolen.

A few seconds later, a concussion is heard. A child cries and Lyles is heard cursing the officers.

“We need help,” said one officer, referring to “a woman with two knives”.

Three children were in the apartment at the time of the shooting, police said.

About Elaine Morales

Check Also

HyperX renews sponsorship of Team Liquid and welcomes scrum god Juan “Hungrybox” DeBiedma as HyperX Hero and Global Ambassador

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–HyperX, the gaming peripheral team of HP Inc. and brand leader in …