This week, residents of Colac Otway Shire will notice the appearance of a new purple bin, intended for ‘glass only’ recycling which will begin in November as part of Colac Otway’s resource recovery and waste management strategy. Shire.
“Broken glass in mixed recycling bins contaminates paper, cardboard, plastic and metal, making them less valuable and more difficult to recycle,” said Anne Howard, CEO of Colac Otway Shire Council. “This is why the separation of glass has a huge impact on the quality of other recyclable materials and will help create a more environmentally friendly collection service for our community. “
The purple bin will be picked up every four weeks on the same day of the week as the yellow bin, which will continue to be picked up every two weeks. To find out the pickup day for the purple bin in the month relating to your property, please refer to your waste calendar, to the waste section of this website, or, from November, to a new waste management application. GoodSort personal waste, under development.
What remains the same?
• Your red bin (landfill) will continue to be picked up every week.
• Your yellow bin (for recycling) and your green bin (for FOGO: Food Organics and Garden Organics) will continue to be collected every two weeks (don’t forget, we do weekly green bin collections from the end of October to early November to help you clean up for the fire season).
What is changing?
• When the purple bin collections begin in November, we will ask you to be “nice” and separate your glass recycling into the purple bin.
• You will continue to use your yellow (recycling) bin for metal, paper, cardboard and hard plastics.
• Take out your purple bin (every four weeks) with your yellow bin.